Imipenem and Cilastatin Injection – The medication is a carbapenem-type antibiotic and is used to treat a wide variety of bacterial infections. It helps by stopping the growth of bacteria and treats several infections. Imipenem and Cilastatin Injection treats infections of the lungs, bladder, heart, kidneys, skin, joints, blood, female reproductive organs, etc. The severe infections may include urinary tract, endocarditis, abdominal, respiratory tract, gynecological, or skin infections. The medication is given by an injection into a vein or muscle. Imipenem and Cilastatin injections only are taken if prescribed by the doctor. The dosage of the medication will solely depend on the patient’s medical condition and their response to a given treatment.
How do Imipenem and Cilastatin Injection work?
The Imipenem and Cilastatin injection is a combination of two medicines named: Imipenem and Cilastatin. Being an antibiotic, Imipenem helps by preventing the bacteria from forming a protective layer. This protective layer is essential for the bacteria in order to survive in the human body. Cilastatin is known as a dehydropeptidase I inhibitor. The primary work of Cilastatin is to stop the activity of an enzyme called dehydropeptidase I. This enzyme is responsible for causing the breakdown of the Imipenem. This process leads to helping the Imipenem stay active in the human body for a longer duration of time.
Medical Benefits of Imipenem and Cilastatin injection
• Helps treat the Lower respiratory tract infections
• Effective on Urinary tract infections
• Treats intra-abdominal infection or stomach issues
• Effective for Gynecological infections in female reproductive organs
• Imipenem and Cilastatin injection treats the Bacterial septicemia
• Helps get rid of Bone and joint infections
• Treats Skin and skin structure infections
• Helps treat infection of the heart lining and valves known as Endocarditis
• Effective on Polymicrobic infections
Side Effects of Imipenem and Cilastatin Injection
Like all the other medications Imipenem and Cilastatin injection may cause some side effects. If any of the aftereffects of the medication get worse or last longer, inform the doctor. Some of the side effects that may occur are:
2. Skin Rash
4. Swelling or Redness
5. Upset Stomach
Precautions & Warnings for Imipenem and Cilastatin injection
Few warnings or precautions to keep in mind while taking the Imipenem and Cilastatin injection are:
• Inform your doctor if you are allergic to penicillin, before taking this medication.
• Tell your doctor if you have any medical history of kidney disease, liver disease, stomach disease, or any brain disorders.
• Inform your doctor before having any vaccinations that you are taking the Imipenem and Cilastatin injection.
• monitor your liver and kidney functions regularly while taking this medication.
• Diarrhea may appear as a side effect of the medicine, it will resolve gradually. But inform the doctor if doesn’t or if you notice any blood in your stools.
• The infusion of the medication can take 20 to 60 minutes to complete. The medicine is advised to be given slowly.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can Imipenem and Cilastatin injections be taken during pregnancy?
The medication can be taken during pregnancy only if clearly needed. However, inform your doctor beforehand using the medicine if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or planning on conceiving.
How long does it take Imipenem and Cilastatin injection to work?
The medication will start working as soon as you take it. However, it may take some time to kill the harmful bacteria fully from the body and help you to feel better.
For how long do they take Imipenem and Cilastatin injection?
The medication will be taken for the total duration of time as your doctor prescribed. It will take some time until your infection will be fully cleared.