Ofloxacin belongs to the group of medicines called fluoroquinolones antibiotics. The medication is primarily used in the treatment of infections caused by pneumonia, gonorrhea (a sexually transmitted disease), typhoid fever, infectious diarrhea, and infections of the skin, eye/ear, bone, joint, abdomen, and prostate (male reproductive gland). These bacterial infections are caused due to the growth of a foreign bacterial cell targeting any body parts and multiplying very quickly. These infections are generally characterized by high fever, tiredness, swollen lymph nodes in the neck, armpits, groin and headache, nausea, or vomiting.
Take Ofloxacin tablets as per the dosage and duration prescribed by the doctor. Do not crush, chew or break the tablets. It is advised to swallow the whole tablet with a glass of water. Some users may experience side effects such as sleep problems, headache, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, itching, external genital itching in women, vaginal inflammation (vaginitis), and taste changes. Inform your doctor if your side effects worsen with time or if you are allergic to Ofloxacin.
Medical Benefits of Ofloxacin Tablets
Ofloxacin is an antibiotic, useful in the treatment of a wide range of bacterial infections. It is highly effective in treating bacterial infections caused by Gram-negative bacteria, many Gram-positive bacteria, and some anaerobic bacteria (that live without oxygen). The medication works by binding to and inhibiting bacterial enzymes required in DNA synthesis, thus interrupting DNA replication and preventing bacterial cell multiplication.
Ofloxacin is bactericidal in nature and provide relief from the infection by killing the bacteria responsible for causing the infection. Ofloxacin can penetrate deep into the tissues and bodily fluids making it excellent for the treatment of bone bacterial infections.
Directions for Use
Carefully, read the manual given along the Ofloxacin tablets. Do not crush, chew or break the tablets. It is advised to swallow the whole tablet with a glass of water. You can take it with or without food, excluding the dairy products.
Side Effects of Ofloxacin Tablets
Mostly, the side effects of Ofloxacin tablets are mild to moderate that get resolved over time. The side effects may vary in all the users as they depend on the health condition and response to the treatment. You shall immediately inform your doctor in case your side effects worsen or persist with time. The range of side effects noticed on using the Ofloxacin tablets are briefed below:
- Tendon rupture
- Arthralgia (joint pain)
- Sleep problems
- External genital itching in women
- Vaginal inflammation (vaginitis)
- Taste changes
Ofloxacin Tablets may interact with other medicines, food items and health conditions. These drug interactions can cause adverse side effects, requiring you to seek immediate medical advice. It is advised to not take Ofloxacin Tablets with the following mentioned drugs:
- blood thinners (aspirin, warfarin)
- antidepressants and antipsychotics (clozapine, olanzapine)
- caffeine-containing medications, insulin, or other anti-diabetic medications (chlorpropamide, glimepiride, glipizide, glyburide, metformin, tolazamide, and tolbutamide)
- medications for regulating irregular heartbeat (amiodarone, disopyramide, procainamide, quinidine)
- pain killers (ibuprofen, naproxen)
Interaction with the Diseases
- tendon rupture
- musculoskeletal problem (myopathy, rhabdomyolysis)
- kidney/heart/lung transplant, low blood potassium (hypokalemia)
- kidney disease
- rheumatoid arthritis
- seizures (fits)
- epilepsy or any other neurological disorder
1. Avoid consuming alcohol with Ofloxacin Tablets as it may interact and damage the liver.
2. Do not take Ofloxacin Tablets in pregnancy as it a category C medicine and can negatively impact the fetus.
3. Store the Ofloxacin Tablets in a cool and dry place away from direct sunlight.
4. Keep the Ofloxacin Tablets away from children and pets. Properly dispose of expired and discarded medicines.
5. Do not drink or eat a lot of caffeine-containing products such as coffee, tea, energy drinks, cola, or chocolate.