Amlodipine 5 mg belongs to the category of calcium channel blockers and is commonly used to treat high blood pressure. High blood pressure also known as hypertension is a condition in which the blood exerts increased pressure on the walls of the arteries. These are blood vessels that carry blood from the heart to other parts of the body. The normal range of blood pressure is 120/80 mm of Hg whereas high blood pressure is 140/90 or higher. Its mode of action includes relaxing the blood vessels so the blood can flow easily and efficiently. It is also used to treat chest pain or Angina attacks. High blood pressure may increase your risk of getting a stroke, an angina attack, or cardiac arrest.
Usage of Amlodipine 5 mg Tablets
Amlodipine 5 mg is an oral medication and is to be taken by mouth. In most cases, it is to be used once a day. Take it with or without food or as directed by the doctor. Donor cut, break, or chew the tablet. This may damage the drug.
Take this medicine at a fixed time every day to prevent a missed dose. Keep taking this medicine even if you feel well. Most people having high blood pressure have no symptoms. Do not discontinue its usage until the doctor prescribes so. Use it regularly to get the best benefits.
Precautions to be Taken
- Before starting the use of amlodipine 5 mg tablets, inform your doctor if ever had or have an allergy to any other medications, specifically calcium channel blockers like nifedipine. This medicine may contain inactive ingredients that may cause allergic reactions.
- Before having any surgery, inform them about all the medicines you are using including ayurvedic or herbal products.
- Inform your doctor if you have any medical history of cardiac disease, low blood pressure, kidney or liver disease
- This medicine may make you drowsy or dizzy. Avoid the use of alcohol during the course of this medicine. It may contribute to excessive drowsiness
- Don’t perform any activity which requires focus as this medicine cause dizziness and sleepiness
- Do not use this medicine during pregnancy until the doctor has prescribed it. Consult your doctor for more details regarding its use in pregnancy
- This medicine may pass through breast milk. inform your doctor if you are breastfeeding.
- Do not consume this medicine after the expiry date. This may cause serious metabolic reactions.
- Do not exceed the prescribed dosage of the medicine by the doctor as it may cause overdosage.
Side effects of Amlodipine 5 mg Tablets.
Side effects are the adverse effects of any medicine. Usually, most of them are self-resolved as the body adjusts to the medicine but some may require medical observation.
Some common side effects of this medicine are as follows:
- Swelling of limbs
- Upset stomach
Some serious side effects of this medication can be fatal. Contact your doctor immediately if you experience any of the below-listed symptoms.
- Rapid or irregular heartbeat
- Frequent or severe chest pain
- Excessive drowsiness
- Exercise and yoga may contribute to the treatment along with this medicine.
- Also, avoid consuming alcohol and tobacco
- Eat a balanced and low- cholesterol diet alongside low salt intake.
- Check your blood pressure regularly while using the medicine. Any fluctuations in blood pressure may be reported to the doctor.
FAQs Regarding Amlodipine 5 mg Tablets
Question: When should I take amlodipine tablets?
Answer: You can take it at any time of the day. Consult your doctor for more details.
Question: Can we use amlodipine for angina?
Answer: Yes, amlodipine is used to treat angina attacks also. It should not be used during the occurrence of an angina attack.
Question: Can amlodipine prevent heart attacks?
Answer: Yes, amlodipine helps to lower high blood pressure which is a major cause of cardiac attack.